The Division's Tobacco Enforcement Goals
The Division has set the following goals where the sale of tobacco products to persons under the age of 21 is concerned.
- To insure that the enforcement of tobacco laws are as much a part of the Divisions daily operations, as is the enforcement of the State's alcohol laws.
- To incease the rate of compliance with State and Federal laws prohibiting the sale of tobacco to persons under the age of 21 by retailers in accordance with the States SYNAR Compliance plan.
- To assist the Division of Revenue in their attempts to ensure the accuracy of their list of licensed retailers.
- To support and provide assistance where possible, all attempts to strengthen the States efforts to prohibit the sale, distribution and possession, of tobacco products to minors under the age of 21.
- To create public awareness of the state laws concerning youth access to tobacco through education and enforcement.
- To form a partnerships with other State agencies and private groups, to get the message out about the dangers of tobacco and its effect upon our youths.
The Division's Tobacco Enforcement Policy
The Official Divisional Policy concerning the sale of tobacco to persons under the age of 21 is both simple and non-yielding. The policy is Zero Tolerance!
Understanding Youth Tobacco Laws in Delaware and Tips for Avoiding Violation (PDF)